Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's time for cheaper cars in Malaysia

My 4 year old BMW 325i has started to develop mechanical failures as it ages. Unlike real estate which appreciates despite getting older, cars depreciate at a frightening rate. More so if you are a resident in Malaysia.

I'm looking for another car but since the introduction of the NAP, the value of my car has dropped so much that I will have to pay the finance company to sell my car and not have any residual value left over as a down payment for my next car.

Unlike ten years ago, when everyone could change cars by trading in their old jalopy and get some money back, today, when you buy a car you are actually renting it. If you opt for a 9 year installment, you are actually buying a 9-year lease on your car at the end of which you will receive nothing but a piece of roadworthy metal if you take good care of it to begin with.

 

No comments: